Pregnant and getting divorced

by Cammie

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and in the middle of a divorce (in Colorado). We are currently filling out our parenting plans and such and I was wondering when filling out the information on child support, do I include the unborn child with our other child, or do I just fill it out for our daughter and then after the baby is born fill out another child support form? Also my (husband) did not respond to the divorce papers so when I file the separation agreement and other papers do I have to send him copies or do I just file them with the court?

Real-Divorce comments: Thanks for your very good questions. First, whenever you file divorce paperwork, I believe you can ask that the courts "serve" your husband the papers. However, you may also do this yourself by puttig them through certified mail, so that you have a record that you mailed them and he received them. If he defaults, then the divorce process takes a little longer.

About child support, there must be a living baby to ask for child support (as some babies do die or are born stillborn). You should file a separate form for the baby once it is born.

Make sure you look around on the sitemap here to find any other articles you need, and best of luck to you, both in the birth and in your divorce.

Click here to post comments

Return to Divorce Forums.

Jennifer here, letting you know that you can ask any legal question online for free using Avvo. It's a great service that I am happy to recommend, and I don't even get paid for telling you this! You will see this box on EVERY page of the Real-Divorce site because that's how important it is!

Want to know a secret?

Once my readers make their decision to have an uncontested divorce, they come here and use the divorce form reviews.

After that, about 70% use, because they have the MOST value for the DIY divorce included in the price!

Get access to RocketLawyer's forms by signing up today! 50% OFF Your First Month's Purchase at RocketLawyer! Use Code: SAVEHALF