Child Support Forum

The Child Support Forum should be able to help you with answering some basic information about support. The best way to obtain specific information is to contact your county court. However, you may also go to the ACF website and get support info online and file for child support online.

The fees for filing for support are usually free or very minimal, so it's usually a good idea to file for support before your divorce, if you are not getting divorced for a while (extended separation). Non-custodial parents are not required to pay anything until that paperwork is filed. You most likely will not be able to ask for any money prior to the paperwork getting filed, unless you have worked out a property settlement agreement and have it in writing.

If you would like to ask a question here in the Child Support Forum, make sure it is about the topic of Child Support only. See the Divorce Forums page for a list of topics if your question is about something else.

Read the Child Support Series in Real-Divorce to learn more. See DISCLAIMER and further reading below.

Have A Burning Question About Child Support?

Do you have a good question about this? Share it! You'll be helping others.

[ ? ]

Author Information (optional)

To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

(first or full name)

(e.g., City, State, Country)

Submit Your Contribution

  •  submission guidelines.

(You can preview and edit on the next page)

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

Can We Agree to a Different Child Support Amount than the Guideline? Uncontested divorce Not rated yet
In Kansas when filing an uncontested divorce, do you have to follow the child support guidelines or can me and my wife come to an agreement so that I can …

Child support Not rated yet
(This response came in as a comment to a previous question--about getting child support.) If you have limited income, look into getting legal aid. You …

I want him to pay for my child. Not rated yet
My husband resides in Canada. After our marriage, I too relocated myself there. Initially, he seemed to be a nice man. But after the birth of our child, …

Click here to write your own.

Real-Divorce Recommends:

RocketLawyer has awesome plans with you in mind. If you want to save money, you can fill out your own legal forms for only $20 a month ($8 and change if you pay for a full year's membership rather than month to month). You can customize your custody arrangements and your property settlement agreement now, and do your divorce documents also. Here's a link to a freebie they're offering: Get your first legal document & 7 day trial membership ABSOLUTELY FREE at

Other Real-Divorce Articles you may find helpful:

Return from Child Support Forums to Divorce Forums
Online Divorce Reviews


Disclaimer: The information on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not legal advice and may not apply to your situation. I take the time to gather the best information to those going through divorce, and offer a place for readers to learn, get support and fantastic resources, and find applicable products that are a good fit for them. You can support this site by purchasing high quality products or services from the sponsors I link to.

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.